The Ranger Creed: A Symbol of Army Excellence
A Call to Arms
The Ranger Creed, an unwavering testament to the unwavering spirit of the United States Army Rangers, serves as the official creed of this elite force. Penned in 1974 by CSM Neal R. Moore, the creed encapsulates the Rangers' unwavering commitment to duty, honor, and sacrifice.
The Lineage of Rangers
The lineage of Rangers in the United States Army can be traced back to the years following the Civil War. However, it was not until World War II that the modern-day Ranger units emerged. The 75th Infantry Ranger Battalion, formed in 1942, garnered fame for its exceptional bravery and audacity during the Allied invasion of Normandy, which gave rise to their iconic motto, "Rangers Lead the Way."
The Essence of the Creed
The Ranger Creed is an expression of the core values that define a Ranger. It begins with an acknowledgment of the sacred nature of the Ranger's mission, to stand ready to engage in combat and to defend the nation with unyielding determination. Each line of the creed embodies a specific virtue. "I will always place the mission first" emphasizes the Rangers' unwavering focus on their objectives. "I will never accept defeat" reflects their indomitable spirit and their refusal to surrender. "I will never leave a fallen comrade" speaks to the profound bonds of loyalty that unite Rangers. The creed concludes with a poignant reminder of the Ranger's sacrifice. "I am a Ranger. I will live up to this creed for the rest of my life." These words serve as a constant reminder of the weighty responsibility that comes with being a Ranger, not only in times of war but throughout their entire lives.
Conclusion
The Ranger Creed is a testament to the unwavering courage, dedication, and sacrifice of the United States Army Rangers. Its principles instill in Rangers a sense of pride, duty, and honor that guides them throughout their military careers and beyond.
Comments